Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The Ninth

The Big Day.

I should not have anything to eat or drink prior to my C section. However the stubborn, and pregnant, and always hungry me decided that it is going to be fine. I had some hot chocolate on the way there and while we were parking at the hospital parking lot I decided to a take a sip of lemonade.

When we checked in at 930 the nurse said that we should have come earlier because she needed to prep me for surgery... well we didn't know because we were just told to be there at 930. When they asked me who my doctor was I didn't know what name to give. I had met all these doctors but I wasn't sure which of them I was really under the care of. They asked me who my child's doctor is going to be.... i don't know what name to give either. We were barely Stanford hospital patients and we didn't really plan on having our baby in this hospital. So I just threw out whatever doctor name I could think of that we've met.

I was asked if I had anything to eat or drink.... I decided not to tell them about my hot chocolate but decided to tell them about my recent sip of lemonade. Big mistake! Because of that my C-section was moved to 130 to give time for my stomach to process what I drank. I tried to argue that it is only a liquid, but the doctor argued back that it is an acidic liquid... her expression was that of displeasure... what if I told them about my hot chocolate? Will I be banished? (hehehe)

The doctor discussed how the C section procedure is done, the risks, the recovery, my patient rights etc. Several people came to introduce themselves because they are part of team that will help me deliver this baby. But so far, that morning, we have not met anyone friendly... and I need "friendly". Today is the big day and yet somewhere there I do not feel the excited anticipation and joy of having a baby.

I felt antsy.... I was not sure how I was going to manage to wait all the way up to 130. Good thing that the nurse gave me a relaxant and I fell asleep. When I awoke it was 12noon. The anesthesiologist came a little after I awoke and prepped me for surgery. I was wheeled to the operating room, given an epidural, shaved, cleaned, and a few tugs and pulls and stitches later I had my baby.

No comments: