Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Finding Positives

It is a positive that my daughter has partial agenesis of the corpus callosum as opposed to complete agenesis.

It is a positive that sodium bicarbonate meds are able to regulate her creatinine levels to help her kidney function properly. Dialysis seems like a far away option.

It is a positive that the audiologist suspects only some hearing loss as opposed to her being completely deaf.

It is a positive that she is fed via NG tube because we can make sure that she still gets her full feedings to make sure she keeps steadily gains weight. Another positive is that NG tubes make early morning feedings easier.

It is a positive that she only has a cleft in her soft palate. Repair would be easier and recovery would be quicker.

it is a positive that the skin on my hands became more smooth, more supple and younger looking, from all the baby oil that I get on my hands and fingers whenever I give my daughter her daily evening infant massage.

It is a positive that, being of Filipino descent, Isabella does not have a prominent nose bridge. The "greek warrior helmet" look seems to not show that much in her facial features.

It is a positive that Lucile Packard Children''s hospital is only about 2 hours away from where we live. It is one of the best hospitals in the US. Other families come from different states just to seek treatment here.

It is a positive that her NICU stay gave me time to recover from C section and when she came home I was physically better able to care for her.

It is a positive that she will be smaller in size compared to other children her age. This will save me from buying her clothes and I get to have and enjoy having a baby/child longer.

It is a positive that my daughter knows that I'm there. She may not be making eye contact with me just yet but it seems that when she is fussy the only person that can calm her down is me. She can tell if I am the one carrying her.

It is a positive that WHS is characterized by a weak cry in infants. Our nights are less stressful because we do not have a loud wailing infant depriving us of sleep.

It is a positive that we have double insurance coverage. We do not shoulder any major medical costs. Just imagine the major strain it will make in our finances if we have to.

It is a positive that I get to save on buying formula. Since she is fed a special formula due to her renal issues, her milk is delivered to our home and is covered by insurance.

It is a positive that we are in the US. The services that my daughter needs are available and attainable. Resources for parents are also accessible.

It is a positive that my husband and I are both special education teachers. We can work closely with the people working with her to ensure that she maximizes her potential. I am thankful for my education and work experiences.

It is a positive that my husband works for the County Office of Education. He can consult and coordinate services for my daughter much easier.

It is a positive that I have a supportive circle of friends. They are my family in the US and I know i can depend on them for anything anytime.

it is a positive that through this experience I have met and bonded with other parents with special needs children. This made me feel that i was not alone and the feelings I am going through were all normal.

It is a positive that I feel that through this experience I can better relate to the parents of the children I am working with.

It is a positive that my son takes his big brother duty seriously. He adores her baby sister and helps take care of her the best way he can.

It is a positive that through this experience (and there will be more to come) the bond between me and my husband is stronger than ever.

it is a positive that this is beyond my control because I can completely let go and surrender it to God's will. I anticipate my realization of his purpose and the fulfillment of his good promise. I am thankful that my faith is in the process being strengthened and that I am being humbled.

It is a positive that I am finding all these positives... it looks like the change in my perspective is finally happening.

No comments: